“Conscience is the most sacred of all property.”
~ James Madison
“And herein do I exercise myself, to have always a conscience void of offense toward God, and toward men.”
We have seen the degradation of our society fall ever more loose in the ways of morals and standards. So before I write things that others will spout “Opinion!”, let us begin with the simple definition of Conscience.
Conscience, n. [Fr. from L. conscientia, from conscio, to know, to be privy to; con and scio, to know; It. conscienza, or conscienza; Sp conciencia.]
- 1. Internal or self knowledge, or judgment of right and wrong; or the faculty, power or principle within us, which decides on the lawfulness or unlawfulness of our own actions and affections and instantly approves or condemns them.
- 2. The estimate or determination of conscience; justice; honesty.
- 3. Real sentiment; private thoughts; truth; as, do you in conscience believe the story?
Taken from the American Dictionary of the English Language by Noah Webster 1828
It can be said that our conscience is necessary to obtain self government; that is the ability to govern one’s own self, property, and liberty. Without our conscience we will not be able to gauge the truth of our own actions or the actions of others. Our conscience is that which guides us to the knowledge of Him who created us for the purpose of manifesting His glory to all mankind.
So saying as Madison eloquently put, “Conscience is the most sacred of all property.” Without it we will be swallowed into the abyss of ever increasing evil and self indulgences that mankind has created, to date, trying to prove he can exist without a loving Creator.
Lies! Lies! and More Lies!
With lies being retold with the truth, it is becoming increasingly more difficult to discern what truth is. The constant battering of lies in our society, from politicians, to teachers, to salesmen, all the way down to the local plumber, whoever that may be; we have been geared to accept that truth does not come with the bargain, sale, or contract. That whatever is written has loopholes and contingencies. We must keep our conscience from getting seared at all costs, for with it alone can the mighty one of Heaven, by His Spirit guide us to the complete and blessed liberty our souls crave and provides for our civil government…civil liberty!
- Conscience Void of Offence (chibunnaariwodocapsulesoflife.wordpress.com)
- The Power of the Conscience! (obeckford.com)
- “Citizens with a conscience are not going to ignore wrong-doing simply because they’ll be destroyed…” (futureof.biz)
- The Blueprint: James Madison’s Advice (tenthamendmentcenter.com)